Friday, August 16, 2013

Making My Own Window.....

After having so much fun taking part in the last JustRite Friday Challenge I thought that I would try again this week.  I loved the theme ... JustRite Friday Challenge #103 is "Things With Wings".  It is a challenge that also is shared by Spellbinder's meaning that on your card you need to use both JustRite Stamp's/Die's as well as Spellbinder Dies.  And, I had an idea almost from the second that I read the theme.  I wanted to make my own window out of Spellbinder dies and then fussy cut a stamped image to use with the "window".
I wanted to use THIS  beautiful JustRite background stamp and basically just ink up and fussy cut the birds and the flowers.  Which I did because I planned to put them in front of Spellbinder window of my own creation. I do have a Spellbinder window die....but it  was too small and too fancy for the image.  So, I decided to "make" my own window by cutting a large square from my Spellbinder die and then measuring and cutting a much, much smaller square die 9 times to make a 9 paned window.  Which turned out great once I finally got the measurements down right!  Then, I cut two frames, one in white and one in maroon to highlight the window and give some depth to the image.  I then embossed the white window frame in the "wood" embossing folder to give the window some texture.  I cut and colored out the birds a second time and popped them up on dots and stickled in the centers of the flowers as well as the leaves, the lettering and slight bits on the birds themselves.

Inside I used JustRite stamps for the message and then matted the white spaces on colored cardstock to match the outside colors.  I am pretty happy with how this turned out and made a "template" of sorts so that I am able to make this window again.  It is soooo easy and tempting to use my dies only for what they are originally intended....such as squares just for matting.  Today I am pretty pleased that I stepped out of my zone to "create" a new window out of dies that I had on hand.  I just wish that I was faster with computing the measurements!  So here is my card....



And here is the inside.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today.  I love to have visitors and always appreciate the comments ;-D

Be well,
Sheila

13 comments:

Sasha said...

WOW! Fabulous fussy cutting and beautifully coloured, Sheila. I would never have thought to do that, thanks for the inspiration. Your card looks wonderful! x

Shona said...

Lovely card, and what a lot of work! All that fussy cutting and (yikes!)math,really paid off. Love the window idea!

joy said...

You are so clever, Sheila! I love your window and this is such an adorable card, too. Good luck in the challenge.

newfiecrafter(Marilyn) said...

Beautiful card love the window you created and the fussy cut image looks fabulous in it . Good luck in the challenge . Tks. for dropping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment.

Dawn T said...

ingenious use of your dies to make your window. Love the birds ~ so beautifully coloured.

Unknown said...

This is stunning. Your coloring is gorgeous. I love the vibrant colors.

Greta said...

Wonderful creation, Sheila! Love your creativity & gorgeous coloring!

Jenni's Jems said...

That was some fussy cutting! and love how you decorate inside your cards too! x

Maureen Morton said...

Truly amazing, Sheila! You must never sleep, with the great thoughts and all that coloring and cutting - ha! Love your creativity and depth here. Have missed checking in - hope you are having a great summer.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! Great job customizing a window to suite your needs :)


Best crafty wishes!
Amber
Staying Crafty

Holly Young said...

amazing fussy cutting! and I absolutely LOVE your color choices!

Sheri said...

Great idea! I know that stamp is NOT easy to fussy cut too - great job! Thanks for joining us at JustRite Inspiration ;-)

Marge said...

Wow, Sheila, this is AMAZING and beautifully done (not at all easy for me when fussy cutting)!!! LOVE your pinkalicious card too!!! Wish I'd gotten more than one made!