Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Silver and Gold...

Yep.  Kinda hung up on the song and the colors lately.  I am loving the deep discounts and coupon action I am finding recently (well, in the month of December) both online and in  brick and mortar stores.  It allows me to make some purchases that would not otherwise find their way into my cart due to them being to seasonal.  I like to stretch my crafting products but sometimes it is nice to get items that are solely and completely for a particular holiday or season.  And sometimes some products, like dies, are too difficult to find very deeply discounted during the season.  But this year I found several and today I used a Tim Holtz die that would have never ever have found it's way into my basket had it not been very deeply cut in price.  I mean, it is gorgeous and all but reindeer are really pretty limited to Christmas and the Christmas season!  I love the graceful lines of this die however and when JoAnn's had it sooooo cheap that I would be a FOOL to pass by the savings.....(hehehehe) I decided to add it to my cart .  Sticking with my current silver/gold obsession, I made two cards for today.  Both are a little over the top....and actually I am not sure that I really care for either too much!  I think I need to straighten and clean my craft room in order to unearth some other papers and colors!  But, crafting is an experiment right? And with that in mind I decided to experiment with "excess".  Enjoy!


At JoAnn's, and I am sure other stores....they have wedding sections and in those sections they have pearls.....so much cheaper than the pearls that are in the craft/scrapbook section of the store.  This particular bit of pearls is from an entire sheet of pearls that can be wrapped around a candle or other item.  I like it because it is on a slightly glittered background and all the pearls are obviously in perfect little rows that can be cut and adhered as I want.  Also, they can be individually cut and used also.  I find this to be MUCH cheaper than buy the pearls from the various craft companies.  Here are the pearls....basically 792 pearls for $10 before coupon....

http://www.joann.com/david-tutera-4-mm-self-adhesive-pearls-792pk/zprd_10664860a/

And they also have "gems" in the wedding dept....

http://www.joann.com/david-tutera-self-stick-oval-rhinestones-98-pk/zprd_11312717a/

as well as other sizes and shapes.  I find that these all color up beautifully with copics if you want to customize your pearls and gems.  And if you are anything like me and enjoy  embellishing with  bling this is really a huge cost savings! 

Here is my second card.  I was able to find some foil paper on deep discount too and here I cut and glittered both silver and gold foil after first die cutting it.  I wanted to try a shaped card.....especially working with  a partial die cut.  Not too sure if I like it or not.....although, I will say it does look TONS better in real life than it does in this photo.  We are under a blizzard watch so lighting is a bit off I think.



Well, the blizzard is supposed to hit starting tonight and through tomorrow....anywhere from 6-16 inches.....seems like quite a safe spread for the weather man to make!  Anyways, I need to make several errand runs.  My husband is supposed to come home tomorrow night from China and we both have a sinking feeling that his return might be delayed.  Friday we were planning to pick our daughter up from college together and Saturday we have my husband's family's Christmas about three hours away so I need him to be home!  Thank you for stopping by and take care!

Be well,
Sheila


8 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love your cards! Thanks for sharing the shopping tips. I love a bargain too. Hope the snow isn't too bad.

Sasha said...

Two beautifully created Christmas cards, Sheila.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, happy New Year! xx

Barb said...

Sheila, both cards are so beautiful! Love the way you use silver and gold!

I sure hope your hubby's flight isn't too delayed! I must admit I'm happy the storm is suppose to mostly miss us here in Minnesota - we're only suppose to get 1 to 3 inches. Keep safe and warm, and please drive carefully! Sending hugs! :)

Maureen Morton said...

Thanks for sharing you shopping adventures, dear pal! I am really not a shopper, but my husband doesn't get it - it is all about the thrill of the hunt, not what I end up with. Love your hints. And these cards are outstanding! Both are so detailed and lacy - and so very elegant, especially with the great pearls. Love them. So sorry that you have to worry about the weather when gathering your family....consider moving to CA with us - ha! Wishing you all the best, dear friend - thanks for all of your sweet encouragement and lovely inspiration during the entire year. Will keep hope in my heart that you all get together and have a lovely Christmas.

Elizabeth Allan said...

These fa, la, la designs are ooo, la, la in gold and silver! Merry Christmas sheila!

Greta said...

Oh I hope hubby made it home & that you aren't buried in snow like I've seen on the news. Your cards are lovely! I really like the pearls on the reindeer. Will have to look again at the wedding aisles. I haven't found big sheets & the smaller boxes seemed more expensive than the craft aisle. Wishing you & your family much joy at the holidays & in the new year!

Unknown said...

Hi Sheila, so nice to see you in the new group and thanks for the link to your blog. I'm glad you linked up because it's a wonderful site and your tip about the pearls and bling is invaluable! Excess or not, your cards are lovely and I look forward to seeing more of your work soon! Wishing you and your husband safe travels and a wonderful 2013!

Sasha said...

Hi Sheila,
Many thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words. Thank you also for all your lovely comments and support throughout the year.

Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy and healthy New Year! xxx